Arrivals / Departures (NYC)
March 17 – March 31, 2011
Arrivals/Departures: Women’s Experience of Migration Under Globalization
Project Reach – 4th Floor Gallery
39 Eldrige Street
New York, NY 10002
With Leilani Montes (Guatemalan-Mexican) and Ninotchka Rosca (Filipina) as curators, the multi-layered art show ARRIVALS/DEPARTURES: Women’s Experience of Migration Under Globalization brings together the aesthetics and community engagement of eleven visual artists, one performance artist, one filmmaker and one writer in an unprecedented trans-ethnic event.
Twelve of the participating artists are:
- Ana Bravo (Mexican) http://anabravo.com/
- Ann Kwak (Korean/Hawaiian)
- Athena Magcase-Lopez (Filipina) http://
- Besos Not Bombs (Armenian/Latina) http://
- Erin Yoshi (Japanese) http://www.erinyoshi.com/
- Favianna Rodriguez (Chicana) http://www.favianna.com/
- Isela Xospa (Mexican) http://www.iselaxospa.com/
- Joanne Ludwig (Thai/German) http://
- Leilani Montes (Guatemalan/Mexican) http://
- Miatta Kawinzi (Kenyan/Liberian) http://www.bit.ly/hZYO9W
- Mona Lunot (Filipina)
- Tatyana Fazlalizaldeh (Iranian/Black) http://www.tlynnfaz.com
ARRIVALS/DEPARTURES conveys the message that migration is not simply a legal, labor, procedural or policy issue; it is a life-changing experience for the im/migrants and their children.
The artists are backed in this endeavor by the multi-ethnic members of AF3IRM NY/NJ and the show is co-sponsored by Zero Capital and other groups.
The show will be on view until March 31st, Monday through Friday, from 1 to 5pm.